The Summer School course “EU Regional Policy - Reality Check and Perspective" offers a unique opportunity to learn and discuss about structures, actors, processes and challenges of regional and urban development and management in dialogue with international academic experts and practitioners. This will be achieved through lectures from leading academics and experts in the field.
During the course, the participants will obtain a profound understanding of the substance and usefulness of the most important concepts as well as develop analytical and critical skills needed to develop a holistic perspective needed to understand the roles, effects and perspectives of implementing a regional policy with a particular focus on the EU. This will allow them to either re-orient their future studies or refresh and extend existing knowledge.
At the end of the class the participant will be able to:
- Critically think about the socio-economic horizons of local and regional development
- Develop a framework for knowledge analysis on the latest achievements of local and regional development from the perspective of the European economic future.
- Link key elements of different concepts of local and regional development policies.
- Develop an integrated approach to the complex problems of regional policy implementation in the EU context
- Develop a holistic approach in analysing the interdependence of regional policy and other policies in the EU
- Graduate and postgraduate students (social sciences, technical sciences, science related fields and humanities)
- Professionals working in the field
- Students wanting to acquire a mark equivalent to 6 ECTS have the opportunity to do so on the basis of a satisfactory take-home Essay, to be submitted by July 15th 2020.
- Course attendance and receiving a passing grade in the writing exam which will be given in the form of an essay.
- The essay should cover critical considerations about local and regional development in various areas of the EU, viewed from the perspective of a methodical approach, considering the role of EU regional policy.
- The essay should have approximately 10.000 words.